Friday, July 24, 2009

Tammy

I went to Kroger after working to get some dinner.

I chose to use the self check-out option. You know, where you scan your own items, and then you bag your own items, and then you start wondering why you're not getting a discount for doing this? Yeah, that one.

Well, Kroger seems to have updated their self check-out machines. Tonight I walked up with my items, dug my keys out from the bottom of my purse and scanned that ridiculous little card that I keep on my keychain as Kroger insists on this stupid rite of passage to give me a fair price, and began the check-out process. I guess I was hoping for one less conversation for the day. One less confrontation. Maybe just a minute to myself.

Instead, the 'woman' in the machine decided to make our exchange ugly. Very rude, actually. "PLEASE SCAN YOUR FIRST ITEM," she shouted. I actually looked back over my shoulder to make sure she wasn't yelling at someone behind me.

No. It was me she was gunning for. I scanned my Carnation coffee creamer as quickly as I could and she shouted, "PLEASE PLACE THE ITEM IN THE BAG." "Okay, slut," I thought. I'm not going to pretend it has been a great day here at the ranch, and so this deal of telling me what to do as I'm already doing it rubbed me the wrong way.

I wrestled with the bag which was still attached to the little silver arms in the bagging area. You know, the little plastic ones (yes, I recycle them) that are made specifically difficult to open so that we all take a minute to decide if we really want to use that moment to loose our witness or find a new testimony? Yeah, those. I couldn't get it open without a little doing, and at the exact moment I was able to roll the sticky plastic opening apart, Tammy (that's what I named her) yelled again, "PLEASE PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG. "

"I.AM.YOU.STUPID.TRAMP." I said back...too loud.

And so for the next 6 items, I raced against Tammy, trying to scan and put my item in the bag before she TOLD me to DO what I was ALREADY DOING!!!!

Score:
Tammy - 4
Me - 2

Game on, witch.

-b

1 comment:

Brian Copeland said...

I love me some Tammy. She's so much nicer than the Walgreens girls.