Monday, March 22, 2010

Facebook: Deletion Day and Other Principles

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I mostly hate it until I connect with someone interesting or re-connect with someone I miss, and then I love it. It really has helped me stay in touch, even minimally, with people I deeply enjoy but don’t get to see often.

I can’t help but wonder, though, is it just me or do you all have to purge some “friends” periodically? For me, I find that I purge about every three months. Usually someone will post some comment that makes me no longer want to be associated with them, for either personal or professional reasons, and I’ll end the cyber relationship. One deletion always leads to a few more—“Oh, that’s the person who posted THAT nasty comment that one night I was too sleepy to figure out how to delete them”—and away they go, too. Granted a few innocent bystanders, or alphabetically close names, have accidentally gone in my haste, but overall, my general purging schedule seems to get the job done.

Today, we’ve come upon another deletion day. I don’t want hate comments or hate language on my news feed, bottom line. There’s enough negativity in my daily life that I will not allow a cyber acquaintance to perpetuate even more.

Oh, but that’s not the point of this post.

This is probably just me, but if you’re going to use Facebook as the ultra-marketing tool for your business, then sending me daily “become a fan of” emails is a good way to make me hate your business. Why? Because I don’t want to have to clear out your stupid email every day. So, I’m going to delete you from the entire friend list instead of becoming a fan of your business. It is a matter of principle.

-b

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hi, Belinda. I totally agree w/ your "become a fan of" mentality. I'm a WAJonian and my husband and I are coming through Nashville this Sat., 3/27, and I was wondering if you were going to be playing anywhere. I'd love to see you play live in Nash.
If you're not playing, can you recommend a good place to go hear some live music? I know about the Bluebird, but are there other venues we should check out? Thanks!
Gretchen Dare

Belinda said...

Gretchen,
I'm sorry I missed your comment. I hope you had a great time in Nashville, and no, I wasn't playing anywhere that weekend. I would always recomment the Listening Room in Cummings Station as well as the Bluebird, for future reference.
Were you here for work or fun?
-b