Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Health Care Reform Debate

I was having a conversation about health care reform with one of my most conservative acquaintances. I was curious to hear his take on why some are vehemently against reforming the system in America. I kept asking a question for every answer he gave because I didn't feel like I was getting the guts of it, you know? So I kept pushing.

Finally, he said, "If someone can't afford health care and they get a life threatening illness, then, yes, they may have to die." He went on to say that health care is privilege and not a right, and described a kind of 'survival of the fittest' thing.

And that was the answer I was looking for. The core belief, if you will. Because, at your core, if you believe something, then changing your mind in the context of a few hours of debate likely isn't going to happen.

So, maybe it's a question of core beliefs at this point.

-b

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It worked, you got my interest. How can anyone believe that? I would love to smack him, but then he would sue me, while yelling for tort reform. Survival of the fittest ha, some belief Patty

JJ said...

Most people just want health care and costs to improve; that's the core belief.

But many people are worried about giving the government MORE to handle, when they can't even figure out why someone thought it was a good idea for NYC to be buzzed by Air Force One for a great photo op.

The government is already making serious mistakes right now in health care.

For example: 1,200 veterans were told they had Lou Gehrig's disease BY ACCIDENT because of a snafu at the VA.

http://news.aol.com/health/article/1200-veterans-wrongly-told-they-had-lou/636811

And that's just a dangerous communication problem. I heard there were other veterans who were infected with HIV and hepatitis because of the deplorable sanitary conditions in VA hospitals.

Instead of overburdening the federal government further, let's start with something simple.

Let's let people buy health care from any insurance company in the United States, regardless of where they live -- across state lines. Those companies (just like car insurance companies) would have to offer lower premium rates to compete.

That in itself would manage costs so much, that many of those not covered now would be able choose and pay for the kind of health care that works best for them, not a "one-size fits all" solution from a government plan. (That's what the veterans are getting right now.)

One other thing? If the government provides the health care, then they will collect and access information about each person's private medical history. And that's a pretty serious invasion of personal privacy.

Chilling.

Marty Funderburk said...

It's simple - have you been to a Post Office or to the DMV to renew your driver's license lately? 'Nuff said.

Belinda said...

Marty, I actually left the DMV the other day because I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. (Is that one or two t's?) Tooooooooo many hours.

JJ--I like your simple solution. Thank you for typing all of that out. That was, indeed, a commitment (one or two t's.)

And to the rest of you who have emailed me privately, I'm so relieved to feel like the 'let 'em die' thing isn't how everyone who opposes reform feels. While I kind of knew it, you make me happy when you say it. I know your feelings aren't about me, but thanks anyway. :-)

I love having so many smart readers!