Sunday, June 27, 2010

When Do You Care About a Book?

I've been reading a lot more since Jim got me my Kindle for Christmas. Have I mentioned how much I love this thing?

As I look back over my book list for 2010, I have to admit I'm a little underwhelmed. I listened to the audio book The Help by Kathryn Stockett and didn't want it to end, but since then I've been on a run of books that I just don't care about.

First, I read "Three Junes" by Julia Glass. I can say that it was well written, sure. But did I care about any of these characters? Nope. Not at all. Well, maybe the guy who died early on who had moved to Greece, but he wasn't around long enough to really mean anything. I kind of didn't even like the book and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. But that's just me.

Now, because my brother pleaded with me, I'm 25% into, "The Passage," by Justin Cronin.
The Passage Pictures, Images and Photos
This is apparently a 600 page horror novel, I found out today. All I know is that at 25% in, according to my fabulous Kindle, I don't care. I kind of care about one person, but I could give him up tomorrow for a better book.

I am interested in reading, "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake," because, well, it's a great title. As one who has equated food with love her whole life, I could weep over the title if I thought about it too long. Oh, wait...that's too much information for you, isn't it?

Anyway, with that, dear friends, I'm asking: what books have you read that you really cared about? What's your favorite book that you've read in the past year that you are glad you did?

I'm in need, gang!

-b



3 comments:

Eric Laughlin said...

This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett

Donna said...

LOVED reading "The Help" too....now i'm reading "The Sweet By and By" by Todd Johnson. It's awesome and the author of "The Help" gives it a thumbs up too!

Regina at Fauxology said...

I am FREAKING OUT that you mentioned The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake because that is my next book -- it's my No. 1 thing on my ToDo list tomorrow. The whole story intrigues me.

Uhm, books. What kind has moved you? I may (may! not sure) have some recommendations based on leanings. I also found this site: http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

:) Regina