Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How Many Fingers Make a Grape?

So the other morning I went to my class at the gym, the hour long class which really kicks my rear, without having eaten breakfast first. I had overslept and didn't want to miss the class so I just went on figuring I would eat afterward.

I made it through class, even though I'm convinced our instructor was trying to kill us that day, and decided I'd make a quick stop in Kroger on the way home since its on the way. About the time I got into the store, I knew I'd made a bad decision. My blood sugar was dropping and I was feeling really dizzy and weird. I was standing in the produce section, so out of complete necessity I grabbed a bunch of grapes and put them in my cart. I immediately started eating them as I walked. I had to get rid of that awful feeling and I wasn't about to leave and come back later. "Just hurry," I thought. Halfway through the store, though, it occurs to me that I'm eating these grapes and I haven't paid for them. Even worse, they charge by weight for the grapes and I've INHALED them!! Oh. My. Goodness. I'm stealing grapes.

I never intended to not pay for them. I just needed sugar fast and that's all I was thinking.

I got to the self checkout line and proceeded. I scanned the items in my basket and then I put my hand on the little glass piece where I would normally have weighed the grapes and began to press down. In my head, my plan was to pretend that my hand was the bunch of grapes and I was going to try to put enough weight on the scanner to make it register $3, a price I had already determined was more than what I actually owed for the grapes.

As I'm standing there pressing my hand down, I hear the attendants voice behind me. The attendant is a young man probably 23 or 24. He's the 'against the establishment' kind of guy with the tatoos and piercings and black hair that we all find in places like Kroger--you know him. The one that reminds us all of the irony that the guy like him works in a place like Kroger?

Him (awkwardly): Umm...Ma'am? What are we trying to do here?
Me (still a little out of sorts from the blood sugar plunge): I'm trying to pay for grapes.
**(He sees no grapes, of course. He only sees a glazed-eyed chic trying to put weight on the scanner.)
Him: Did you want to buy grapes?
Me: Yes, that's what I'm trying to do.
Him (getting a little nervous, now): Ma'am, do you see grapes?
Me: No, I don't see grapes! I'm trying to pay for what the grapes would've cost.
**(You and I both know that I wasn't making sense to him, but I was making perfect sense to myself in the moment. I even had the nerve to get irritated with him.)
Him (talking to me now like I'm an elementary child): Okay, then. If there were grapes there, how much do you think they would cost?
Me: Three dollars. I think that's more than fair.
Him: How about if I go over to my station and just add $3 to your bill? Would that make us even?
Me: Well, I think that's for you to decide ultimately, but I would think it would be okay.
Him: I think that's more than fair. (Here's his jab...) If you think the grapes that aren't there are worth $3 and if you insist on paying for them, then I think it's more than fair. If I do that, will you stop trying to scan your hand?
Me: Okay, then. Fine.

And, now, I probably live on in his stories as 'the freak who was trying to see how much her left hand was worth!!!'

But, I didn't steal the grapes.

-b

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I be you for just one day?

Joel

PhilB said...

Now THAT is funny!!! Thank you for a great story.

Peace,

Phil

Anonymous said...

Honesty is painfully funny!
XOXO
Eric Payne

Unknown said...

OMWord, you crack me up!!!! ROFL

Boo Radley said...

And this is one of the MANY reasons why we love you.