Thursday, January 29, 2009

Policy: Using Bells to Even Things Up

I've been 'worked' three times in the past five days. You all know what I mean. You're having a perfectly enjoyable, benign conversation about generalities and then without warning you realize the person has just been laying the groundwork to drop their sales pitch the whole time, and now they're trying to convince you to buy what they're selling--jewelry, herbal supplements, a new house, etc... You're blindsided, aren't you?

Am I an anomoly? Am I the only person who shuts down (behind the polite southern fake smile) when acquaintances start trying to sell me things in purely social situations?

Allow me to be clear, then. If I identify a need or a want, I'll seek out a provider. If I want some new jewelry and you sell it, I'll come get you. If I want some herbal supplements and you sell them, I'll come find you. Ask my Mary Kay representative, Jill Crabtree, who is awesome. She does not hound me, she does not try to wiggle in extra crap that I don't need, she just sells me what I ask for and introduces me to new things as they apply to what we've already established. Or, my Stamping Up person--Lisa Fairfax. She does not hound me with squirrely tricks, either. She just sends me the schedules and the information and lets me peruse at my will. This is why I'm strictly loyal to them. And, further, they are up front. They didn't spend all the time being underhanded. It was more like, "Hey, I'm selling ______ now. If you're ever interested in hearing more, let me know." WooHoo!!!!

I guess I'm saying all this to justify my new policy, when in reality, it's my policy and I really don't have to justify it. If I'm in a purely social situation and I realize that the entire reason we're conversing is because you've been hooking me in so that you can try to get me to pull out a debit card, I'm going to ring a cow bell and blow a whistle. This will happen every time, regardless of where we are or how inappropriate it seems, because the ringing of a cow bell and blowing of said whistle in any of my social conversations is equally as inappropriate as you turning into a sleazy salesperson in the name of 'potential friendship.'

And, therefore, we're even.

-b

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you notice, the other night, how I just politely turned the other way and joined another conversation instead of sticking with you in that one? Sorry, I guess that was kinda crappy of me, but I had faith that you could manage on your own!

Joel

P. S. I agree with every word you said.

Belinda said...

You would've loved it had I already had my policy in place, though, wouldn't you?!?! Wouldn't that have been awesome?

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong of me that I'm now tempted to find an opportunity to try to sell you something, just to see if you've really got a cowbell in your purse? =D

L