Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stream of Conciousness Post

I got a machine at the gym today. I was there at 10:40 A.M. So allow me to say it--WHO can go to the gym regularly at 10:40 A.M.?!?!?!?!? I could only go because I didn't have a writing session this morning. My how I loathe the New Year's Resolution people. But, I digress...

Anyway, so I had a lunch with an old friend this afternoon. I guess some people would call it a business lunch, and for tax purposes I will, too, but it was really just grabbing lunch with an old friend. I've been in town long enough now to have old friends (not that my friends are old, but the friendships are). We talked a lot about the state of the music business. He's a very successful studio player (plus so much more) and I'm a writer. We compared notes as to how the economy is affecting us both. I told Jim later that the guy I had lunch with is one of the two best piano players I know in the world, and by far the best I know in Nashville. (The other is a world reknowned classical accompanist.) Then, I thought about why we don't tell our friends the good things we think about them. But, we don't a lot of times. I guess that's the way it goes. But, my friend is prodigious (is that spelled correctly? Probably not.) He's that good, that intuitive, and I believe that he would be the only person who could tell me what key "Yesterday's Rain" is actually in.

Have I mentioned, "Yesterday's Rain," to you? I think so, back on the other blog address. It's a tune I wrote with James Tealy (hurricane Katrina transplant). And, did I tell you that the first time I wrote with the hurricane survivor I repeated over and over to myself, "Don't try to write a song about the hurricane. You didn't live through that. It would be gross of you."

And then the first song James and I wrote was called, "Yesterday's Rain."

I'm cool.

But, I love the song.
And I don't actually know what key it is in. (Thanks, Tealy.)

-b

p.s. Remind me to tell you about the grapes. I keep forgetting, and I can tell you now that I've confessed to the people I was worried about knowing the story.

No comments: