Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mesmerizingly Awkward Ms. Womack

I got a machine at the gym this morning. Things are looking up. I don't have cable at home and so I usually try to catch something on TV that I wouldn't have access to while on the machines. Hence, GAC country music videos.

Talk about a train wreck--that thing that you know you shouldn't look at because it is so uncomfortable, but you just can't help being mesmerized by it... Enter Lee Ann Womack's video for "Last Call." Oh. My. Goodness. Hello, Mrs. Robinson! As I watched it, I started remembering that someone had mentioned this video and the problem to me already, so I submit that as evidence that it's not just me.

The song and video are based on the premise that the only time the woman hears from the guy she loves is when he is drunk (last call) and this time she's not going to answer the phone. (I like the song enough.) Gang, the age difference between Ms. Womack and the kid who we are supposed to think is her ex in the video is staggering. To the extent that I almost thought I had it wrong and that she was actually his mother and she was giving him tough love by not coming to his rescue anymore. Actually, I'm still not 100% convinced that's not the real story, but I'm just not sure his mother would be dressed like that walking around downtown Nashville (with NYC skylines randomly peppered about).

I don't know where the blame falls in this kind of misstep, but someone should've (and hopefully did) pointed out the problem. Selfishly, I'm glad no one listened, though, because I haven't been that mesmerized by awkwardness in ages.

I think you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGZrljOm-Y

Enjoy.

-b

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a Louis Mandrells picture for A Country Christmas at Opryland? She is fifty and she looks 16 in the photo. It must be great to a woman in country music!
Eric