Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today

I thought today was a good day. Regardless of your political side, when you watch footage of segregation and the fights that took place for equality alongside footage of a black man being sworn in as President of the United States of America, it's pretty powerful.

Aside from the historical significance, though, allow me to say what so many of us were thinking: Poor Aretha. In my house, it didn't even sound like she was giving it much of a try--just sing a little, repeat a few words randomly, blah, blah, blah, get me out of here. Maybe I'm just used to entertainers being a little more present and trying a little harder to create a moment. Or maybe she was sick. Or cold. Or in a bad mood. Maybe I was just hearing a bad feed, but my how I was wishing for Patty LaBelle around 11:55 this morning...

I didn't mind the hat, though. At least it was a distraction from what I thought was a really lacking performance.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

The hat had me totally distracted. I don't even remember what she sounded like. But I will take your work for it.

PhilB said...

I actually thought maybe she was sick or over rehearsed or something. Maybe her age is finally taking its toll on her voice. I agree, Patty Labelle would have been a better choice.

Peace,

Phil